TheRadicalReality

Truly a lot better than your worst thoughts.

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Those kids!!!!

Baby dunking... New addition to the olympic games???
Not sure everybody loves this game!!!!

It's not usual that my girl and I go out with couples with kids. Not because we don't want to, but basically because the only thing we have to take care of is our cat (not much different from nasty kids I know, anyway) and, second of all, because most of the couples we know have not yet decided to make that BIG MOVE (us, included, of course)...

On the other hand, here in Spain nightlife, bar hitting and free time is sort of like a religion for lots of people and, things being that way, it's not really unusual either that the "Baby" talk arises way past your thirtieth birthday (yeah, guys, face it, it's not that you are old at thirty+, but hangovers grow worse with years and many people start getting these funny pains from their liver and, sadly, discover that it's not indestructible... And I would also add that you don't enjoy TV cartoons by the morning, as much as you did before)...

Anyway, yesterday afternoon, it was different. We have this friend who teamed up together with a divorced guy with a 7 years old boy last year and, being so long since the last time we had met, we decided to get all together to share a few happy beers and update with the latest of our lives....

The kid was allright. Very intelligent and mature. There was no need to watch out on what you said, as he already knew things like what a transsexual and a travesty were, and believe me that once you hear words like these coming from an kid's mouth, you feel somehow relieved... Well, to sum it up, the afternoon was very pleasant and my girlfriend decided to give the kid a "cerbatana" as a gift (for those who don't know a cerbatana is a blowgun and, considering that we are not in the jungle here, I'll just clarify that my girlfriend got it from a "souvenirs from the world" kind of shop)...

The things is, once she gave him the blowgun, there were three kids instead of just one. The original one. His father. And I. And this is were I really wanted to get. Because whenever some toy of this kind is involved, most men behave just the same, no matter what age they are. You see the big tube. You see the darts. You can almost hear that whistling sound of the blow calling on your primitive nature... YES. IT'S FUN!!!! AND WE WANT SOMETHING MOVING TO BLOW THOSE DAMNED DARTS AT!!!!!

Later at night I decided to get serious (we can all do this, if we wish with all of our heart!) and reflected a bit on human behaviour when related to men interaction with little boys playing (not girls, I clarify). Not that many minutes past, I rounded out my thesis to the following: Unless a feminine presence is dominating the scene, when it comes to kids, men usually act just as mature as their little boy fellas or they simply treat them like a pet (a loved pet, nevertheless)...

OK, OK, OK... I can hear some fathers out there claiming they are good caring parents and that sort of stuff... Take it easy, pals. I'm not saying you are not... I just believe that, whenever wives/girlfriends/women (yep, mothers count too) are there, we just don't behave the same... We usually just jump into the fun more restless and careless or we use the boys to get a good laugh or a good time (not much different of what you do with your dog when throwing sticks in a park and nothing to regret, if you ask me)...

I'm not a parent, but I've got a brother who was born 15 years after me, so I know what interaction with a little boy can be like... My older brother and I did everything with the little guy from disguising him, making him cry for stupid stuff, convincing him two run 40 times up and down the stairs, or sending him on weird errands (when he was a bit older), just to show a few examples... We had a great time out of him and, curiously enough, he still loves us a lot...

11 Comments:

Blogger An Extraordinary woman in a mediocre life said...

i completely agree that blokes tend to treat male kids as little buddies or someting akin to pets!...lol.. this post is very well observed, and well written... and i thank God i wasnt born as your little brother.. u wicked lad!...lol ;)
xxxxxxxxx

1:54 PM  
Blogger dbdoberman said...

I totally agree that men do act differently without females around. We are still kids, big kids, who never want to stop having fun and making mischief. That's the part we have to hide around females, because we have to be RESPONSIBLE - why does that word sound like a prison sentence? I really enjoyed this post, thanks MrG.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Your so lucky having a younger brother. I just had an older sister.
I still like toys..

2:52 AM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

My friends call the domestic switch the "refridgerator phase"...where formerly really fun people talk about nothing more interesting than what typ e of new refridgerator they'd like to buy.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Oh I SO agree with you on this. THe Peanut King is one of the worst when it comes to regressing back into his boyhood when there's kids around.

And honestly? I don't always think that's a bad thing. Sometimes it's downright endearing! :)

8:19 PM  
Blogger Mr G said...

extraordinary woman...
Just think what it would have been like if I had had a little sister...
Oh, girl... I just can't imagine all the fun I would have had out of her boyfriends... ;)

db...
Glad you liked this...
It's true that we pretend being "responsible", but I just wonder why women with kids (not all, of course) have such a hard a time in allowing their "little girls" to show, and even when it's evident that the kids are under no sort of threat or hazard... strange, isn't it?

happyandblue2...
I hope you could still have a few good moments of fun out of your sister, even if she was older... Well, at least, you still like toys, so I guess not everything was missing...

portuguesa nova...
What your friends say it's true as a rock... I thank the god I don't believe in that most of my coupled friends (not all, though) seem to have had enough imagination as not to fall into this phase... As for me, the day I start talking about fridge models, I hope I just stick my head into the freezer and leave it there forever... Thanks for the visit!!!

Majestad...
How sweet to see that your Peanut King still carries a little Peanut Prince inside...;)

5:21 AM  
Blogger dbdoberman said...

Now that really made me laugh --
"your Peanut King still carries a little Peanut Prince inside."
Good one, MrG ;)

7:54 AM  
Blogger elle said...

Ahhh-Haaaa!!! I knew it!! Whenever I would leave the room and come back, I could swear I hear him snickering...

Girls tend to act a little differently too when the boys aren't around, we just don't let you know that. Oooops.

By the way, when no one is looking, I play with the kids toys.

Nice to meet you. I'll be back.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Mr G said...

elle...
I think we would all like to know just a little bit more about those girls' secrets... ;)
Thanks for dropping by!

12:25 AM  
Blogger dbdoberman said...

a co-worker had her whiney, screaming brat from hell at work today. Baby dunking, hmmmmm....

6:21 AM  
Blogger Mr G said...

db...
Do I see a little devil on your shoulder?

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home