TheRadicalReality

Truly a lot better than your worst thoughts.

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Real house warmth...

house warmth

Nope. It's not my birthday yet... And come to think of it, if it were my birthday, I would go for the traditional cake and candles stuff when celebrating it. Reason for the pic above is simple and down to earth. I have bought myself a new toilet lid. Incredible, right??? I knew you would understand it.

OK,OK, I'm not as stupid as this post might seem so far (well, maybe we could discuss about my stupidity, but this post is serious, I swear...). Let's do a bit of background
info, first...

For YEEEEEARS and YEEEEEARS, I had this toilet with a PLASTIC TOP. Big deal, you say. And you are right. Probably a majority of this planet shares the same bathroom experience. But I had a reason to change. And that makes this a WHOOOOOLE different story.

If you have read my profile, you must know already that I live in Barcelona, Spain. Barcelona is a great city. Lots of things to see, great cultural activities, an amazing nightlife, close to wonderful mediterranean beaches, tasty food, a cosmopolitan environment, etc, etc... But despite all this, like any other modern european polis, when winter times hits the calendar, YOU FREEZE YOUR BUTT. Hold on to this last statement, and explanation for this post will become clearer than water in just a few lines...

As I said, I live in Barcelona. And more precisely, I live in Barcelona Old Quartier. A colorful, mixed and attractive neighborhood where OLD really means OLD and the building you inhabit might well have a few centuries when it comes to determine the moment someone decided to lift it up. As a result, you have got plenty of small flats where the bathroom is in the house, but your toilet is separated from the main estructure of the place, by a small private corridor (because the toilet was probably added decades after the original construction). I live in the Old Quartier. And this is my case.

For YEEEEEEARS and YEEEEEARS, comes winter, my potty attached on the outside of my flat, I had been freezing my butt whenever I felt the call of my human needs. It was horrible. And at nighttime, it was even worse than a nightmare. Until providence crossed my road and enlightened my brain just a few days ago...

I was browsing by IKEA, searching for some bookshielves, when I came into the bathroom section and I my eyes, suddenly, diverted toward a WOODEN toilet lid. I felt puzzled and I wasn't really sure why. But my thoughts quickly reorganized and showed me why and the vision I should have had YEEEEEEARS and YEEEEEARS ago:

PLASTIC LIDS absorb the cold and FREEZE YOUR BUTT!!!!
WOODEN LIDS reject the cold and SHOULD NOT FREEZE YOUR BUTT!!!!
AND I HAVE BEEN LIVING ALMOST A DECADE WITHOUT EVEN THINKING ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!! (I remind you, once again, that debate over my stupidity remains open...)

Needless to say, I opened my wallet, took out the 19,90 euros and bought that glorious toilet covering. As soon as I got home, I proceeded to install it right away. What followed after that, you can imagine... And let me tell you... THE LID IS A GODDAMN PLEASURE!!!! (And contrary to the pic above, a lot safer when it comes to warm our delicate behinds).


By the way, I run into this strabge TOILET MUSEUM site when writing this post. Check it out, if you'd like...

6 Comments:

Blogger dbdoberman said...

this was funny as hell! I am still laughing. I am glad you figured it out, and now have a throne to be proud of.

thanks for the toilet museum site. Who would have ever guessed there is a museum for toilets?

6:16 AM  
Blogger An Extraordinary woman in a mediocre life said...

I agree with Db :)
ahhh.. blog reading is so much finer than reading the newspapers in the morning... chuckles all round... :D
Fab blog Mrg
xxxxxx

10:28 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I can sympathize (sort of)...we have a plastic lid in the throne room of the Peanut Palace...no matter what the temp. is, it's always cold. I wonder if they sell electric toilet seats...you know, like an electric blankets? So the seat would always be nice and warm for you? Hmmm....now that's an idea.

Well, I'm off to the copyright website now....:)

Congrats on your new warmer seat! :)

3:37 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

LOL. Glad you got that problem fixed.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Mr G said...

db...
I'm certainly enjoying my new throne... Toilet Museum... Yeah, I couldn't believe it at first either...

Extraordinary woman...
I hardly leave a day without going deep on the papers, but it's true I don't recall that many times I finish reading them with a smile on my face...

MAJESTAD

I guess some Japanese guy got ahead of you with this toilet thing.... But do you really need one of this in Florida???

happyandblue2..
It was A PROBLEM... And that's why I felt so dumb for not thinking about the solution before...

4:19 AM  
Blogger Mr G said...

MAJESTAD

I hope this warm toilet link works now...

4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home