TheRadicalReality

Truly a lot better than your worst thoughts.

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Not a day to remember...

As stated above, this is not a glorious day... And probably this is not gonna be a happy post either, so if you decide to skip reading, I won't hold it against you...
Anyway, here we go:
Today I had this big fight with my girl. And when we fight big, BIG means HELL. That sort of sinister situation in which times freezes, air grows thick, light seems to disappear from this world and we keep crossing looks and words that would probably burn anyone who dared to step in the middle. Reason for all this: Yesterday I decided to answer a mail I got from and old university friend (a girl) I have not seen or heard of over the past ten years....
Of course, that's not all to it. This friend I'm talking about is a girl who was in our same class and is someone with whom I happened to have a very close relation, before I started going out with my current girlfriend (we were all classmates).
Back then (I'm talking a decade ago!!!), my girlfriend and I used to have discussions and fights over what this friend had meant to me and, considering we were just starting a relation, though I used to get pretty annoyed by what she implied, I sort of understood it and usually took it as part jelousy, part insecurity, part "I don't what the hell... but well, I'll dig it"...
To give you a broader view of the situation, I'll let you know the following:
1) I did feel attracted by this girl at one point.
2) Nothing ever happened between us (I was sure of my feelings, but she had been dating someone else and I wasn't sure if she saw me as anything else than a close friend)
3) When I started going out with my girlfriend, I had already grown a little bit a part from this girl we are talking, since I had decided to try something with another girl I had met halfway through between both of them.
4) When I started with my girlfriend I had no deep relation with anyone and I never denied the attraction I had felt before for a classmate we both knew.
5) Once the relation between my current girl and I consolidated, this old friend of mine never did anything as to imply we had had anything going on or got on my girls' back or did anything of that kind... We just grew even more separate, but just as it happened with other relations, and as it usually happens when a couple starts together and they drift a little bit apart from their social circle.
6) When graduation arrived, more or less everything had been settled and we all took our own road in life (my girlfriend and I together, ever since....)

Over the years, the issue came back a couple of times (of course, most probable, whenever we felt our relation was hanging on a thread)but I thought it had finally drained...

When I decided to answer the mail yesterday, I knew problems could hit my way... However I thought, hey, it's been over a decade, I know this has brought chaos land to our life a few times before, but, what the hell, I don't think I ever did anything wrong and I'm not gonna be as an unpolite as to leave this girl without a mail reply, considering all the good moments we shared... and having not had any news in all this years...

When I told my girlfriend, at first, she seemed a bit annoyed, but she kept cool. Hours later, hell exploded. Recriminations about why do I do these things for, if that relation seemed lost in the past; about whether I need to answer this because we are so different (that is true, we are like moon and the sun, but I think ours is a classical case of opposites attract); about whether if I need to do this because I did enjoy our college years and she didn't enjoy them that much (true again, but I was the sociable type, she was the distant, independant type, and I don't recall any of the two us wanting to behave any other way at that time); and all other sort of recriminations that brough ice to what it could have been a nice weekend afternoon walking by the sunny, narrow streets of Barcelona old quartier, had I not commited the "imprudence" of answering the above mentioned mail...

Final result:
I took a long shower, got dressed and left for work (I hate leaving home like this, really...)
She went to our bedroom, pulled a blanket over and said nothing more - probably she felt asleep.

I shall see her again in a few hours, but these are the times when I really feel more like getting out of work, going out for a few beers and do not think about anything for at least 24 hours...

6 Comments:

Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

It's amazing how trivial things can affect a relationship.
Probably by the time you get to read this comment things will be back to normal.
Best of luck..

4:11 PM  
Blogger An Extraordinary woman in a mediocre life said...

I hope all works out well for you.

Possibly your girlfriend took your replying to the email as proof you still have feelings for the other girl.

xxxx

5:29 PM  
Blogger Amrita said...

Hi Mr.Gonsings,
sad to hear about your fight with your girl, well, not a moment to discuss it but would you not call this a lack of faith (remember the discussion in Varsha's blog?)on her behalf? But do not worry, because if love is there intact, things will improve soon.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I'm NO expert but it just sounds like your girl may be a bit insecure. I can remember feeling the same way about The Peanut King when we started dating...we couldn't go anywhere without women coming up and saying "Hey, Larry...how you been?" It'd drive me crazy! I guess what got me thru those first turbulent months of our relationship was that he was very reassuring to me...telling me he loved me and didn't want to be with anyone else, no matter who he knew in the past.

After things cool off a bit, I'm sure things will work out for you both...:)

3:34 PM  
Blogger Anu said...

Oh dear, this is bad. It feels bad to have fights with someone whom u really hold close. I haven't been into any such relationships to tell you what you should be doing. Being a girl, I would just say that your girl friend felt sort of insecure about the whole thing. I know, you would probably find it difficult to accept this nature that many women carry. Nevertheless, do not mind. i am sure things will be fine.:).

4:28 PM  
Blogger Mr G said...

Hello everybody!!!!
First of all, thanks to all of you for your wonderful wishes and those words of support...
As expected, a couple of days have gone by and waters have returned to the river...
Of course, after all the time I've been together with my girl, I knew this was not a break-up threat to our relation, but intensity grows deeper with years (both in the positive and negative senses)and sometimes any severe fight can convert into a world of darkness for several days...
Anyway, as I said before, things are on their way back to normal so I feel a lot better and, once again, I thank you for having taken the time not only to read my post, but to comment it here...

In relation to your words:

Happyandblue2...
Just as you say, it was probably all the fuzz which exploded from such a trivial thing which really annoyed me most at first...

Extraordinary Woman...
She sure did think my mail reply as proof of something, but I knew it wasn't that way and that's pretty much why the whole thing went up the roof so quickly...

Amrita...
Love is still there and it's the base of my relation (you will see now that my position on the debate on Varsha's blog was more theoretical than personal)... About a lack of faith on my girl's attitude... I don't know... I think she felt more like if I, somehow, had betrayed her trust.

MAJESTAD,
Funny thing about my girl is that she is 99% percent the most secure and assertive woman you can probably meet... But when that 1% which is all the contrary shows up it's like if suddenly her world stopped rotating and everything went backwards...
I suppose it's her Achilles' hell...
And I also guess that, after being more than a decade together, probably I'm the only one who has ever seen this side of her...
Just out of curiousity... Do you still experience, ocasionally, situations like the one I described on my post with your Peanut King?

Anu...
I can understand nature of jealousy, but understanding cannot imply acceptance when you feel you are not being judged properly... Part of this is what we managed to discuss with my gril in these last two days and, probably, what have settled the base to re-start our approachment...

Tiffany
Great to see you here... Thanks for stopping by and for your words... You are right, jelousy is a messy subject... Of course I replied to this girl with the same intention I have replied to other long lost friends who suddenly appear on my mailbox... Funny that you refer to my girlfriend feelings, as I think now that just as I was writing the post I published on sunday, I started to cool off a little and realized that I didn't want this fight to grow any bigger...

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home