TheRadicalReality

Truly a lot better than your worst thoughts.

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Against the clock....

In five minutes I'll be finishing my day (night, really) at work, and I'll be off for a couple days of well deserved rest...
Well, actually my girl's got thought out a million things for me to do at home, so I'm not sure I will get any rest at all... (change that shelf, fix that plug, wash the cat, cook me something cool, take your clothes off and get in here... You know, usual house stuff)...
My worry, though, is what can I say in five minutes that can be significant about my life and that will satisfy the quality standards my thousand of readers have gotten used to... (Besides I just blew the definitions of my template while changing the color, and I've lost quite a few worthy minutes adding back all the links I had again - (if anybody who was there is missing, please let me know!!!)...
The thing to say must be brief, precise and concise.
So here it goes:

Last summer I received a phone message that went something like this:

"MrG, I just spend a couple of hours in Barcelona and I tried to reach you, but I couldn't. My train is now leaving, so I know it's not gonna be possible now. Well, I just wanted to see if we could meet and, well, anyway, I just wanted to thank you for everyhting you did for me". End of the call.

It was a girl, speaking in english, with an american accent.
And I had no idea who could it be.
She addressed me by my name in the message and she sure knew I lived in Barcelona.
I almost never forget the face or the voice of anyone I've met. Much less if I did something so "helpful" for them.
I never got another message from this girl, so I never found out the solution of this mistery.

Spooky?
Strange?
Coincidence? (a guy with my name in the same city)

The truth is out there...

10 Comments:

Blogger elle said...

Sometimes we never know how our actions effect others. The ones we put so much effort into helping barely notice, and the ones (we think)that go unnoticed we impact profoundly. When I worked with teens, the kids I thought hated that me would later come and thank me.I was always shocked. I felt I couldn't make an impact on them at all. I guess I was wrong.

You must have done something for her without realizing it. Isn't it nice that it was a good thing that had a positive impact?

Or, you were really drunk.

;)

2:30 PM  
Blogger dbdoberman said...

I hope you time off isn't spent entirely on household drudgery, I konw you will fit some enjoyment in there somewhere.

It would drive me insane receiving a phone call like that, and never knowing who or why.
Hey, maybe it was an ex? ;)

4:17 PM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Okay..okay. I confess...it was me. I was in Barcelona on official Royal Peanut business and thought about stopping by and trying out my spanish on you but thought I should call first. Then, when I called, I didn't WANT to speak spanish because I thought you might not understand me (being as I still pretty much suck at speaking spanish), so I just spoke english. But you weren't there anyway so I just left a message. Didn't want to miss my train, you know...;)

Yesh...I WISH! Sure sounded good though, didn't it? :)

Well, I hope you find out who mystery woman is...that would drive me CRAZY until I figured it out. Keep us posted, please...:)

4:05 PM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I just realized something....you said "american accent".

Do we have american accents? I NEVER even thought of that before...that americans have accents.

I mean, I know we have accents...like people from Boston have northern accents and people from the south have southern accents but...I don't know...reading what you posted about an "american accent" just made me smile. :)

10:53 PM  
Blogger Mr G said...

Elle..
REALLY, REALLY drunk could be an option, 'cause I swer I haven't got the slightest clue as who this girl was... If drunk, though, my girlfriend would have remebered for sure and I would have remembered for sure the fight afterwards (you know this thing about girls not liking their drunk boyfriends playing innocently around with other drunk girls) ;)

db..
It drove crazy the first days, but later I just forgot. However, whenever I rememember it still intrigues me A LOT.

Majestad...
I knew that girl had a Florida accent... Ha, ha...
Well, I'll just make sure you've got both my home and mobile phones next time you are on royal mission abroad...
About your doubt, of course Americans have an accent (and very different depending from what part of the country they come from)... I don't know if you have heard many Brits and Aussies speaking, but if you do so you'll sure think how funny they speak your own language... The same happens to me with the variaty of spanish accents... What is weird, though, is that accents from others who speak our language always seem funny to us, without realizing how funny our own accent sounds to all those people, living in other countries, but sharing our same language.

2:56 AM  
Blogger Mr G said...

Elle..
REALLY, REALLY drunk could be an option, 'cause I swer I haven't got the slightest clue as who this girl was... If drunk, though, my girlfriend would have remebered for sure and I would have remembered for sure the fight afterwards (you know this thing about girls not liking their drunk boyfriends playing innocently around with other drunk girls) ;)

db..
It drove crazy the first days, but later I just forgot. However, whenever I rememember it still intrigues me A LOT.

Majestad...
I knew that girl had a Florida accent... Ha, ha...
Well, I'll just make sure you've got both my home and mobile phones next time you are on royal mission abroad...
About your doubt, of course Americans have an accent (and very different depending from what part of the country they come from)... I don't know if you have heard many Brits and Aussies speaking, but if you do so you'll sure think how funny they speak your own language... The same happens to me with the variaty of spanish accents... What is weird, though, is that accents from others who speak our language always seem funny to us, without realizing how funny our own accent sounds to all those people, living in other countries, but sharing our same language.

2:56 AM  
Blogger dbdoberman said...

so did you fix the cat and wash the plug, or was it the other way around? ;)

I hope you enjoyed your weekend.

4:07 AM  
Blogger Mr G said...

db...
Cat got lucky and the bath has been delayed for a week (sun was not up there this weekend and I didn't want him to freeze to death while drying)... The plug has been washed tough (he, he)
Hope u had a good sunday too! ;)

4:35 AM  
Blogger thtgrl said...

I take it next time I'm in Spain I shouldn't leave you an anonymous call? It IS odd though.

5:54 AM  
Blogger Mr G said...

That Girl...
Long lasting ODDNESS... As I still can't figure out the answer!

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home