TheRadicalReality

Truly a lot better than your worst thoughts.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Friday the 13th: A tribute to Jason Voorhees...

I planned on writing a long, cerebral post to commemorate this flick, but I’ve got no time, so I’ll have to make it short:

Summing it up:
- I was not even 10 when the first part of Friday the 13th was shot.
- And I got a pretty good scare with it.
- But the funny part is that I didn’t even get to see the film (at least until a couple of years later, on its video version).
- The first time, I was told the story by one of my mom’s cousins who saw the film and enjoyed scaring the shit out of little children (he was a damn good narrator).
- Reason why I couldn’t see the film on a movie theatre was that, back in those days in Chile (and I’m not sure if still now) you had to be over 18 to see horror movies with explicit violence and nudity.
- Thing is that I really just caught up with Jason teenage-killing hobbies when I went to live to the US, a bit after the mid-eighties. And I loved it. Especially on Halloween re-run specials, when I spent all the night watching the guy at work and, at the same, devouring endless packages of Doritos. (There was this weird synchronicity between guys getting killed on the screen and the number of tortilla bags I ate, I think…)
- What can I say on my defense?… not much, I guess.
- I could argue that I like eating raw meat or admiring metal things like knives - or even keys and bottle caps openers-… but I think that just doesn’t help much in clearing my case.

Now, where is the cerebral part of this whole post, which I planned to talk about, in a longer post I couldn’t write, anyway…

Here it is:
- This post is against oppression.
- And freedom of communication (???) : P
- I should have been able to see this flick, at the movies, as soon as it came out.
- And thus I would have been able to internalize its violence in an appropriate manner.
- And I would have not turned into the sardine cans openers collecting psycho I am nowadays (*sob*)
- I blame it on the system!

Of course, nowadays, Friday the 13th is not even grosser that a lot of animated cartoons we see on TV daily… But, that’s another story… And this is a different era… And I like a lot of these cartoons too, so I’ll better keep my mouth shut…

Now that I think of, I’m posting this on Saturday the 14th (which doesn’t scare the shit even out of little babies), so, who knows, maybe I shouldn’t even have posted this…

Whatever…
Have a bloody good weekend, mates!!!

6 Comments:

Blogger dbdoberman said...

You should've been allowed to see it, then you folks could have used Jason to scare the bejesus outta ya when you were misbehaving ;)

Happy 2006!

7:38 PM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

I used to think I was going to be the kind of parent who wouldn't censor any of the media her kids had access to. I now realize that that ain't gonna happen because I don't want to have to deal with crying, whining, afraid of the dark kids.

Where in the US did you live?

11:10 PM  
Blogger Mr G said...

DB...
You are alive, man!
Can't believe it! (*tears dropping by my cheeks*... ha, ha!)
I'll go check what you'been doing with your life lately...

Portuguesa nova...
Fear inducers are all around when you are kiddo... Do you really think it makes sense if we censor only a few things, when there a zillion others out there which can be just as suggestive?
BTW, I lived in a suburb town of Westchester county (40 minutes from The Great Apple)

4:47 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

It's a good story. I'd forgotten about the Friday the 13th movies.
Would have been scary on Friday. Saturday, not so much, tee,hee..

6:00 AM  
Blogger elle said...

We are always trying to control each other. It's a human thing..

1:54 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Excellent movie! It scared the crap out of me too! :)

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home