TheRadicalReality

Truly a lot better than your worst thoughts.

Friday, January 06, 2006

Of life and changes...

If you like reading international news or checking CNN’s curious World updates, there is a very good chance you know by now that a new Smoking Law was introduced in Spain on January 1st. The most restrictive smoking legislation ever approved in this country (following the trend of places like Ireland and Italy), the issue has raised quite a public debate, not because of the measure itself, but mainly because of how well will Spanish society really adapt to the variation of one of its most traditional habits.

As you all know (I think, if not check up there on my profile), I live in Barcelona, Spain. More precisely, in El Raval. Quite a colorful neighborhood, in the heart of the Old Quarter, with an important share of immigrants. Among those, Pakistanis.

Before the new law, you could get tobacco almost anywhere. Now, it is absolutely forbidden to sell it in any place that is not a tobacco shop or an authorized machine in bars/restaurants which decide to allow smoking (if less than 100 square meters, it is up to the owner to decide whether the place is going to be smoking or non smoking).

Personally, as a smoker (even if a very light one), I just love what the sale prohibition and Pakistanis combined is bringing to my neighborhood. A new flavor, very much in the style of an old spy’s movie.

Pakistanis are really hard working people who come here, usually set up a small personal business of their own and then work as much as they can so that, one day, they are able to bring the rest of their family into the country or just move back with better possibilities. Lots of them open small food stores or mini-markets. And I’ve always loved their shops because I’ve got over a dozen close to my flat and, should I need anything, it seems as if they were eternally open. Of course, they also used to sell tobacco. And they made an important profit out of it. But now the law forbids them to do so…

So this is what has been happening, since January 1st, when I go… err… let’s say for “sugar” to my usual Pakistani shop:

Store keeper: Hello Amigo!!
MrG: How are you?...

(strange looks exchange, between us and around)

MrG: Well…?.
Store keeper: ummn…

Then the guy in front of me moves a hand quickly and leaves “sugar” for me, hidden behind some candies, on the corner of the counter...
Then I move my hands quickly and put “sugar” on my pocket, casually and “unconsciously” dropping a few coins, right behind some candies’ boxes, on the corner of the counter…

Funny, but when I get home, the “sugar” tastes just like my old Lucky Lights.

9 Comments:

Blogger portuguesa nova said...

I love this sort of thing. It reminds me of my husband's most frequently used saying when discussing rules and regulations back home regarding parking, taxes, bill paying, standing in lines, consumption of alcohol, anything really...."Well, I mean, technically its forbidden by law/against the rules...but of course no one listens, they do it anyway. That's just the Portuguese way."

11:18 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Your laws are very lax compared to Canada. Cigarettes must be hidden from view. Smoking isn't allowed in any public place or establishment. And in the province I live in it is even illegal to smoke outside at any event..

12:34 AM  
Blogger bostezo said...

Desgraciadamente para eso es que esa hecha la ley: para romperla. Y afortunadamente siempre hay gente dispuesta a desafiarla.

12:59 AM  
Blogger elle said...

Wow. Maybe it's time to quit, no? Just thinking of your health, mi amigo.
:)

4:06 AM  
Blogger Anu said...

Sugar! Very clever, eh?? :)..Btw, MrG what's this blue color font u r using?? Want to hit the eye, is it? :) (just kidding!)

9:17 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

I didn't know Spain had joined the anti-smoking brigage. It's a shame, but I guess we have to think of the non-smokers out there, which I have become since January 1. And it really sucks; I really like smoking, but I know it's bad for me, and I need to get in better shape.

Great story, by the way!

2:48 AM  
Blogger Mr G said...

Portuguesa Nova...
Maybe it is the "Iberic Way"...

Happy & Blue 2...
The law is restrictive for what things used to be here until December 31st, but I agree that it still is very lax compared to other countries.

Bostezo...
Bueno, la verdad, en este caso en particular, a mi como que no me molesta mucho buscar "alternativas"a la legalidad vigente.

Anamaría...
Gracias por los saludos gigantes (sobre todo considerando que esta vez no tuve tiempo para la traducción)... sobre qué hago en Barcelona, ya te contaré alguna cosa... Tiempo atrás publiqué un post con 100 datos sobre mí, no excesivamente íntimos, pero que daban algunas ideas de mi vida... Sé que está en los archivos, pero no me acuerdo bien en qué mes (creo que Abril)... Saludos gigantes para tí también, ni?a! :)

Elle...
Thanks for the concern... :)
But don't worry, my smoking levels are so low that it is certainly much more of a reasonable pleasure than an addiction.

Anu...
I don't know... lately I feel like trying different font colors to see the effect on my site... I hope I don't lose all my readers with this innovation!! he, he, he!

Beatriz...
Gracias por pasarte por aquí...

Brian...
Yep, Spain is joining the anti-smoking brigade, but as I said above, the law still is very flexible, so I don't think that many smokers are really gonna go crazy with it.

3:11 AM  
Blogger thtgrl said...

i think that's just nuts. it's nothing like that here. i don't smoke, and wouldn't care if no one could, but i bet it would increase crime because people are "dealing" tobacco.

3:30 AM  
Blogger Mr G said...

TG...
I agree with you that the whole thing is a bit nutsy now, but I think the new law gives plenty of space to both smokers and non-smokers, so things will probably normalize over the months...

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home