TheRadicalReality

Truly a lot better than your worst thoughts.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Short weird story...

One thing I hate is that I often find myself with no time to write a decent post... I mean reasonably long, well thought-out and one which could result of a certain interest to anyone dropping by this blog... Today, unluckily, it's no exception... But so that you don't think I'm lazy bum - well, yeah, I am sometimes, and I quite enjoy it too ;) - I'll share with you the very brief story of how the book "The confederacy of dunces" came to my hands... People like reading and writing about books... And people usually get books because they buy them, they steal them from libraries, they borrowed them or if they've got someone who loves them they might get them as a gift... Well, of course, I've gotten books in several ways... But I consider the way I got (and read for the first time) The confederacy of dunces somehow particular... This happened like a decade ago, on the year I arrived to Spain... It had been a night of wild party and I ended very happy and drunk in Catalunya Square (Barcelona's heart spot) to get some rest lying on a bench... After a few minutes I saw a figure coming my way from all they way across the square... As the figure approached I realised it was a very old bum, all rags and dirt, walking decidedly toward my bench... The place was not really crowded that late at night, so it was obvious he was coming to meet me... Once he got next to the place I was sitting, he saluted very politely and said something like this: " excuse me, I don't mean to bother you, but I just found this book over there (pointing behind his back with his thumb) and thought that you might like to read it".... What???? I answered not very clearly and a bit confused (Id had a few drinks, remember)... "Looks like a good book... But I can't read and I think you might like to read it", he added.... Well, Thankyouverymuch!, really, thanksalot!, have a good night!, that's very kind of you, I replied very impressed and happy for that unexpected gift... And then the old man just turned and went his own way... The book, of course, as you can all figure out, was "The confederacy of dunces"...
I had no previous idea about it, nor what it was about...
If you have read it, you must know then that it's quite a weird, original and interesting piece of writing...
Getting it the strange way I got it seems just like if it all were part of the novel itself...
If you haven't read, I do recommend you do it (and you'll probably have to, to understand the real meaning of this short post).

That's all,
HASTA LA VISTA!

9 Comments:

Blogger Walker said...

Great post, a story about how you got a book from a stranger. Someone who could not afford to give something away for free, but thought to give you a book.
Have a nice day

9:49 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Cool story. I love it when something wonderfully unexpected happens like that! :)

3:15 PM  
Blogger Mr G said...

Walker...
The funny thing is that I was just as impressed by the gift as by the old man's manners... It was such a really great contrast between his image and the extremely kind way he expressed at that very special moment.

Majestad...
Unexpectedness is what reminds that life can always be magical, even if we sometimes tend to forget it.

1:49 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Great. Now I have to check out the book.
I liked the post though..

3:58 AM  
Blogger An Extraordinary woman in a mediocre life said...

i loved that story.. and yes... i too now have to read the book :D

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

12:43 PM  
Blogger elle said...

Maybe he wasn't really an old bum. Maybe he was something or someone else... Now I have to read the book.
:)

11:42 PM  
Blogger elle said...

P.S. I just ordered it!!

12:01 AM  
Blogger dbdoberman said...

Dignity can be found in all walks of life, that was a great story. I haven't heard of the book, but will try and find it.

I remember finding the Anne Rice "Interview with a Vampire" buried in the sand at a beach one summer. I had never heard of her or the book, but decided it was meant to be found and read, so did. Talk about a weird book, and a genre that I would have never chosen to read. I enjoyed it.

Beware of bums bearing gifts, sometimes they can make you think!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Mr G said...

hello everyone!!
sorry if I caused you too much trouble and now you'll have to get the book
(he, he, he)...

Anyway, to avoid the fact of seeing you throw your money away buying something that maybe you might not even enjoy reading, here I give you a couple of details to consider:

The Confederacy of Dunces is one of the masterworks of absurd literature and probably one of the most particular pieces in that great narrative tradition of southern USA writers... It was written by John Kennedy Toole, but the book only got published after he committed suicide and his mom found the novel and decided it was worth taking it to someone to publish it... After some effort, the lady finally got someone to take a look at it and time wouldn't take long to prove her right... Despite being dead, the novel would become a cult piece and the author would end up being recognised with nothing less than a Pulitzer Prize.
Nice story, isn't it?

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home