TheRadicalReality

Truly a lot better than your worst thoughts.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

So...

As from today, I have finally got in my hands the national identity card which certifies I’m now an official Spanish citizen. Why do I say finally? – you might ask yourselves-. Well, I say “finally” because it has taken almost three years of document submitting and bureaucracy to arrive to this moment. And what does this moment mean? – you might also ask yourselves-. Well, it means that I have now got two nationalities: Chilean and Spanish (yes, I can keep both). Does this mean I now have my heart divided between these two countries? It could certainly mean that, but truly I don’t really give a shit about that factor. The important thing to me is that my Spanish nationality opens me a brand new door to move wherever I would like within the European Community (yes, I am now also officially a European Citizen) and that I will not have to worry ever again about renewing residence papers or getting my ass kicked out of this continent. I have spent over a decade in Barcelona (three of those years as an illegal immigrant) and now I can “finally” make a big bonfire with all the pile of papers I’ve been forced to keep and collect over the years, so as to prove that I had earned (with hard work and sweat) my right to remain here. And now, that big pain in the ass is “finally” over…

Anyway, whether you want it or not, having two nationalities makes you think about what you are, where you come from, where you go and all that kind of stuff… Despite having now a Spanish passport too, I know that deep within I’m Chilean and will remain Chilean to the last day of my life. That’s where I spent most of my childhood and university years, and that’s the place where I got formed (or deformed, for all it matters) - even if I’ve also had the luck to spend my teenage years in The States and the last decade of my life here in Spain. But isn’t curious how it works, though? I mean, I’ve been living here for quite a few years now, but yet I’m far from feeling a native (and know I’ll never feel like one), even if I don’t feel like a foreigner either. And the same works for Chile, because I know too that if I ever decided to return there, I’m not going to feel like the same “Chilean” person I was before my departure.

So, where I am going now? Got no much of an idea, but I feel FREE to move and that’s what I like...
I doubt I ever return to Chile to live (even if I know I could have a pretty good, comfy life over there), but I do not feel “tied” to Spain either… Barcelona is a wonderful city, but I feel exploring… And now that I “finally” have the freedom of movement for so long desired I think I’ll have to start thinking seriously about my future objectives…

By the way, I’m most probably going to Rome in two weekends from now…

(I’m on the search…)

8 Comments:

Blogger Sumit said...

Congratulations!!!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Good for you, Mrgonsings!!! What a relief that must be!!!

And I hope you have a terrific time in Rome, you lucky guy!!!

2:56 PM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Felicidades!

And just three short years of waiting time, to boot. If my recollection of Spain serves me well here, I calculate that the completion of this endeavour reuqired you to stand in various lines for approximately 4,000 hours and to get 80 signatures and 42 stamps from 90 different people in 60 different offices and most of them were on vacation 40% of the time you tried to make an appointment.

You capture the complexity of the issue so well. What should be just a matter of bureacracy ends up being almost an existential crisis. I think it is a result of the options that open up to you with dual citizenship...There's always some level where you feel like you're betraying who you are and the people that made you who you are when you think about the possibilities that you didn't have before.

Antonio probably experiences this more than me, since, because there is no such thing as a true "American" since we all came from somewhere else way back when, he will, at some point be considered just as American as anyone else, regardless of his cutie accent. I know that whether or not he wants to ignore or acknowledge or accept this designation will always involve some personal conflict toward his love of Portugal, and moreover, his family. I don't know if Mrs. G. is Chilean or Spanish, but I think when children come into the mix, that'll change--especially if they are of two nationalities.

If we ever end up living in Portugal, which is far from a diverse society, I will never be accepted as "one of them", and in many ways, that is a great relief because it frees me from having to deal with loyalty issues.

Incidentally, we registered our marriage with the embassy (the very first step of many for me to be acknolwedged as a possible candidate for permanent, unrestricted entry into sacred Lusitania) in Lisbon two years ago and it has been received but still not processed, so I think that by the time I have a Portuguese passport in my hands I will be about 97-years-old.

I don't know how nationalized members of the European Community feel about a system that allows them to live and work in any country they want, but to me that is such a fabulous and wonderful thing, and really the only reason I have any interest at all in Portuguese citizenship, beyond the fact that my children will be half Portuguese.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Congratulations. It sounds like the card really opens a lot of doors for you. Take full advantage..

2:49 AM  
Blogger Mr G said...

Sumit...
Thank you very much, sir.

Majestad...
It sure is a relief!
I'll try to bring some pics from Rome back this time (I love photography, but I'm one lazy man when it comes to tourist type shots)

Portuguesa Nova...
Your recollection of Spanish bureaucracy is right on the point... especially the part of people being on vacation when trying to make an appointment (ha, ha, ha!)... I don't know if TPMYM knows it, but as the wife of a european citizen you have the right to a residence card and a work permit in any of the european community member countries... Nationality is another issue and it will depend on each country's laws (and it usually takes a few years for a resolution), but you can certainly come, live and move here without any problems with your current status... And yes, you are right, freedom of movement throughout the EC is definitely a fabulous benefit.

HappyandBlue2...
Oh, believe me, I will take advantage of this new situation... Just give me time.

5:04 AM  
Blogger elle said...

YOU are a citizen of the world. COOL!! When you go to Rome, would you do me a favor? Toss a coin in the Trevvi for me, 'kay? If you don't want to, you can just take me along.
;)

2:55 PM  
Blogger thtgrl said...

congratulations! you travel so much that you don't really need to live in one place, though! you should consider a summer home in one country and a winter home in another-- just because you CAN. :)

enjoy rome!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Mr G said...

Elle...
Consider that Trevi wish done!
(I'll toss in an american quarter for you, so that the wishes administrator of the fountain don't get confused) ;)

TG...
I have sometimes thought about that seasonal living in two countries thing... and who knows, maybe someday I'll try it... for the moment, I consider myself lucky for the chance of living on a place where I can easily move from to visit and know new countries.

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home